The Alexander Black House
Tuesday – Saturday: 10am – 4pm FREE
About the Alexander Black House
A frontier farming area, Drapers Meadow, was established in Southwest Virginia in the mid-1700s . In 1750, Samuel Black purchased 600 acres of land in Drapers Meadow, but he never inhabited the land. When Samuel died, his land was split evenly between his two sons, William and John Black. In 1798, William Black set aside 38 acres of his land to establish the Town of Blacksburg.
William Black eventually left Blacksburg for Ohio, but his descendants continued to inhabit the town. Alexander Black, the grand nephew of William, was a prominent businessman in Town. Alexander lived on Main Street in a plain two story framed house. Unfortunately, his home was destroyed by fire in 1896. That same year, construction began on a new Queen Anne Victorian home. The 1897 home featured steep cross-gabled roofs, gingerbread trim, a turret, and vertical windows finished in red and green.
The Black Family remained in this house until 1935 when Alexander passed away. Its prominent and highly visible location on Main Street lent the house to commercial use and the building was sold to Oakey’s Funeral Home. Hoy Funeral Home occupied the home thereafter until it was sold to the McCoy Funeral home. In 2002, the Town of Blacksburg purchased the home from McCoy to save it from demolition.
Today, the Blacksburg Museum & Cultural Foundation operates the Alexander Black House & Cultural Center and is currently fundraising to complete the restoration of the Center.